Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Eating out while staying in


I have to say that the new movie, Julie and Julia, has inspired me to write this.

With my and my husband's schedules being what they are, finding a date night can be limiting. When we do have that night, we would go out to one of the restaurants around here. After a while it got to the point where we were going to the same places, and ordering the same food and of course the price of going out keeps going up. I came up with an alternative to going out but also be able to enjoy the same quality and uniqueness of food for less the cost. I have to be honest, no one can ever accuse me of being a gourmet chef. For those of you who know me know that a good bowl of pasta will do me fine. Nonetheless, I was determined to be different. So a couple of years ago I purchased some cookbooks from Williams Sonoma and decided to surprise my husband with some fabulous meal.

Not sure if it turned out to be fabulous or not, but it did spark an idea. Instead of going out, we would go through the cookbooks and pick out what we would like to have for dinner and then help out making the dish. I found this to be much more fun that I anticipated and cheaper.

For me, cooking is rather boring; but, as it turns out, that is because of what I was making. You can only do Hamburger Helper so many times before you can't stand looking at the box. By trying new recipes, we got to enjoy unique dishes using ingredients we never though much about in the past. Also, because we did this together, we discovered a new shared interest.

Now when we do go out, we compare the quality of the Prime Rib at the restaurant to our recipe and no one is able to top my Creme Burlee.

No comments:

Post a Comment